Position: Junior Business Development Officer
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Contract Duration: 12 months
Forcier is a multi-disciplinary research and monitoring & evaluation firm operating across Africa and the Middle East since 2011. Our core services include program evaluations, opinion polling, third party monitoring, and capacity building for UN Agencies, NGOs, governments and private sector clients operating in post-conflict and challenging environments. Forcier currently has offices in South Sudan, Somalia, Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Mozambique, and Egypt.
Forcier Consulting is seeking a Junior Business Development Officer to identify, establish, and maintain relationships with partners, clients, and competitors across Southern Africa, from Forcier’s office in Maputo. The Junior Business Development Officer will act as a liaison to the Forcier Mozambique Country Office in order to provide accurate logistical, financial, and HR records to the rest of the global Business Development Department, as well as contribute to business development activities in the region. This may include frequent writing of proposals, client mapping and meetings, as well as general administrative tasks relating to business development.
The Junior Business Development Officer position is intended to serve as a trial period for both the employee and Forcier, with the hopes that after four months a full Business Development Officer position will be offered. If the four-month period is completed in satisfactory standing, the employee will transition to a full-time Business Development Officer for the following eight months.
Forcier is looking for a Business Development Officer that has a passion for writing, data, making connections- and winning. A sense of ownership over one’s work, and a competitive edge, is essential for this role. We are looking for a gifted writer, with an interest in Southern Africa, who can help Forcier expand our services in the region. Fluency in Portuguese is a major advantage. Experience working in business development at a research or international development organization, and on USAID or DfID initiatives, is a definite advantage as well.
The first four months is considered a probationary period and the position is unpaid but offers:
- In-country living stipend;
- Accommodation at the Forcier guesthouse; and
- Round-trip flights.
After the probationary period a salary will be offered for an additional eight months, in addition to the living stipend, accommodation, and other benefits.
Reports to: Business Development Manager – Southern & East Africa
- Identify opportunities through partner engagement and desk research
- Write proposals for Forcier projects in Mozambique, Southern Africa, and other locations across Africa and the Middle East on an as-needed basis
- Assist the Research Team on various aspects of projects, including playing a role in select projects in order to gain valuable research experience
- Identify all potential partners, clients, and competitors in Southern Africa- and select other countries – and establish a database for contact management
- Establish contact with partners, clients, and competitors and represent Forcier in introductory meetings to explain our unique selling points/competitive advantages
- Maintain relationships with existing/new partners through routine contact
- Assist the Global Business Development Department by liaising with the Mozambique Country Office teams to provide information on country staffing, logistics, financial information, and project updates
- Assist in improving and maintaining new and existing business development resources (templates, CVs, promotional materials, databases, etc.)
Education requirements: A Bachelor’s Degree in International Affairs, Anthropology, Political Science, English, International Development Studies, or another relevant social science topic.
- Native fluency in English
- Effective ability to pro-actively prioritize and meet strict deadlines
- Interest in Mozambique, and the Southern Africa region
- Ability to work independently and remotely with little oversight
- Strong Microsoft Office and Internet research skills
- Excellent communication skills
Preferred (but not required) skills:
- Portuguese fluency is a major advantage
- Experience with grant writing or training in business development
- Familiarity with research, including quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Experience with corporate marketing, branding, or graphic design
- Experience living or working in Africa
- Knowledge of the international development industry
How to Apply: Please apply on our website: joinforcier.com and locate the Junior Business Development Officer job posting for Maputo, and click Apply.
Submit a single PDF containing your cover letter, CV, a writing sample in English (no longer than 3 pages) with your name as the filename.
Applications will be received on a rolling basis. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.